Published: 12 October 2020
Midnight Owl. A dark IPA, may the Good Lord help us. Up to the usual standard of Castle Rock's endless trail of indifferent Specials and Seasonals. In it's flavour it has to be said that it is markedly more interesting than than the sweet , cloying Elsie Moe tonight.
"That sounds a bit harsh" said Max.
"Does it Max? Do you think that tonight's ale is better than I have so described it?"
"Well if you put that way, then I suspect, not at all but you chose to come here in the full knowledge of the absence of dog biscuits and you are, are you not, fully aware of the range of beers purveyed by the Castle Rock Brewery in these straightened times? So why would you choose to write in such critical terms?"
"Because Max in these straightened times as you so eloquently put it, with such limited options, it would be nice if just for once, my local pub purveyed a decent beer."
"I see", said Max. "Did I mention that I found a fairy at the bottom of the garden this morning?
"You did not Max and I cannot but express surprise not only that you found a fairy but also, given their rarity, that you failed to mention it till now."
"Slipped my my mind entirely," said Max."fairies are far more common than you might imagine. This one incidentally was called Nuff."
"yes indeed" said Max. "Yes indeed."
Beer and biscuits
- Ludlow Blondes
- Ilkley Summer
- Midnight Owl
- Dancing Duck
- Bass in the Chestnut
- Harvest Pale
- Slap in the Face
- Elsie Mo
- Green King IPA
- The Famous Grouse
- Snowhite Pale
- Electric Dreams
- Theakston's Old Peculiar
- Bass - King's Head
- Speculation Ale
- Summer Storm
- Black Sheep
- Citra - The Embankment
- Butcombe Original
- Oakham Citra
- Catch the Rain
- Modern Love
- Postcode Envy
- Shipstones' Goldstar
- American IPA
- Brother Rabbit
- La Dame Aux Camilias - Alexandre Dumas
- Turn of the Screw - Henry James
- The Beast in the Jungle - Henry James (1903)
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Caroll 1807
- Man and Maid - Elinor Glyn (1922)
- The Hollow Needle - Maurice Leblanc = 1909
- Montpelier Parade - Karl Geary
- Five Run Away Together. - Enid Blyton
- Dracula - Bram Stoker - 1897
- Days Without End - Sebastion Barry (2016)
- The Witch Finders's Sister
- A Week in December - Sebastian Faulks
- The Devil and Miss Prym - Paul Coelho - 2000
- The Long and Winding Road - A Memoir (Alan Johnson 2016)
- William (Richmal Crompton 1929)